Liberty Tax franchise owner refusing to pay required employee wages

59 of 104 Liberty Tax reviews

I worked for Liberty Tax service in Palm Bay FL after taking their tax preparation course.After the course was completed, the franchise owner had mandatory training sessions for employees/future employees.

When asked if these hours would be paid, he responded "No, it's only training." I filed a complaint with the Department of Labor Wage and Hours Division. While they agreed that the hours should have been paid, they declined to litigate the case. I also emailed corporate about this problem and they were unresponsive. Besides refusing to pay wages for desperate employees, he also raised the number of required returns to qualify for a bonus.

I found out from a manager that the required number the previous year was 50. Apparently, some employees got close to that number so this year he raised the number to 75.

My advice would be to stay far, far away from this Liberty Tax service franchise.Actually, I would stay away from all of them since corporate is condoning this behavior by their inaction.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Product or service
Labor Compensation
Review category
review #620314 by

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Liberty Tax? Submit review ›
Helpful? 0 Yes 0 1 No 1
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
59 of 104 Liberty Tax reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Feb 24 #1117264 Atlanta, Georgia, United States

I worked for one in Greenville, SC and was let go before the season ended due to lack of business. Everything I prepared was useless because he said we had to work through the end of the season in order to get commission. He only stated this AFTER termination. Will never work for them again!

0 0 Reply

Sep 03, 2015 #1029280

What is the owners name I have had issues with that owners franchise and have gotten no help I'm a veteran and it upsets me that a person like that can even use the American colors or the words liberty in his businesses.

0 0 Reply

Sep 03, 2015 #1029372

Franchise owner is Ben Teaford

1 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.